Thursday 14 March 2013

''The Wonderful Wizard of Oz''- Book review

Author: L. Frank Baum
Published: 1900

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy

Rating: 5 out of 5

Review

L. Frank Baum's ''The Wonderful Wizard of Oz'' is a magical and brilliant novel, and is an excellent example of children's classic literature. How I loved this book! It's an absolutely brilliant, pleasant book that while reading it, I felt as if I was transported to the Land of Oz with Dorothy.

I remember watching the world famous 1939 film version, but that was a long time ago, and I hardly remembered any part of the storyline. So, it can be said that the storyline was almost new to me- I loved it. I loved the story, the details, the scares, the imagination, and the beauty, the presentation, the everything. 

Dorothy is a girl who lives in a little house with her Uncle and her Aunt. One day, a terrible storm blows the house away, and takes the house, along with Dorothy and her dog Toto, to the Land of Oz. There, people inform her that her house fell upon the wicked Witch of East, who died as a result. The people are grateful to Dorothy for killing the wicked Witch. But now Dorothy wants to return home to Kansas. How will she return? The people advise her to follow a path to the Emerald City, and ask the powerful Wizard of Oz to help her.

On her way to the Emerald City, Dorothy encounters a Tin Woodman who wants a heart, a Scarecrow who wants a brain, and a lion who wants courage. Dorothy thinks that the Wizard of Oz can help them as well, and tells them to accompany her to the Emerald City. 

But on her way there are lots of obstacles. The wicked Witch of East may be dead, but the Wicked Witch of West is still there. Plus, there is a twisting revelation about the Wizard of Oz. And there are other problems as well.

This is a classic of children's literature. I loved all the characters, be it the lead characters or the supporting ones. I loved the imagination, the descriptions, and the hard work that the author put on this book. This was a smooth, pleasant, and wonderful read, and I'd recommend everybody to read this book. It's so magical!

5 out of 5!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment