Friday 27 September 2013

''The Notebook''- Book review

Author: Nicholas Sparks
Published: 1996

Genres: Novel, Romance

Rating: 3 out of 5

Review

I know I haven't posted a review for more than a whole week! I've been so busy with class tests!

I watched the movie adaptation of The Notebook earlier this year, and liked it. But I didn't like it enough to read the original book as well. But since ''The Notebook'' seems to be the favorite Nicholas Sparks book of most Nicholas Sparks fans, I decided to give it a try.

I liked The Notebook. The love story was really sweet and touching. The relation between the two main characters (Noah and Allie) is very strong and moving. But for me, it will not be a favorite Nicholas Sparks. My favorites are probably A Bend in the Road and Safe Haven.

Noah Calhoun has returned to New Bern after World War II. He keeps himself busy repairing an old house. He is haunted by memories... fourteen years ago, he had fallen in love with Allie, a girl two years younger than him. Allie and Noah's feelings for each other had gradually become very strong. But, Allie's mother had not approved of the relationship, because of their class differences. Allie's mother took Allie away from New Bern (they had come there for the summer).

Fourteen years have passed, but Noah cannot forget Allie. Allie was his first true love. All the letters that he had returned to Allie had remained unanswered.

But then one day, Allie appears... She had known from the newspaper that Noah was repairing the old house, and has come to inform him that she is engaged... But soon, they are haunted by those memories, those feelings of the past. Will Allie be really able to leave Noah and marry Lon? Will she really be able to ignore her past?

I thought that the movie adaptation brought into life the beautiful summer, whereas in the book the summer does not have that much depth. But the book was pretty deep as well. I really liked the last half. It was much more, much more touching than the first half. The horrors of Alzheimer's disease are really explored well. I just loved how Noah tries to help Allie in the last half. Noah's feelings were strong, deep, and really moving.

3 out of 5




No comments:

Post a Comment