Monday 15 July 2013

''Heidi''- Book review

Author: Johanna Spyri
Published: 1880

Genres: Novel

Rating: 5 out of 5

Review

I hadn't read Heidi for a while (the last time I read it was in 2009 or 2010), so it was definitely a joy to read this beautiful novel again! I love Heidi. It is such a comfortable, such a nice little story! 

The story is about Heidi, who is only a little orphan girl when she is sent to live with her grandfather, a man who lives all by himself in a little hut and doesn't quite mix with the society. However, Heidi begins to love her grandfather and the hut, and everything around her. She loves the mountains, the flowers, the goats. She becomes friends with Peter, a goatherd. She also becomes close to his family. Life in the beautiful place becomes extremely peaceful and happy.

But then things change as Heidi's aunt- who was her previous guardian- come and take her to Frankfurt, to be companion of Clara, a girl who cannot walk. Heidi longs for going back to home. But she also becomes close to the members of the household, particularly with Clara, a servant called Sebastian, and Clara's grandmother, who occasionally comes to Frankfurt for a long visit. But her heart longs for going back to home. And ultimately, because she experiences sleepwalking and weakness and weight loss, Clara's father sends her back to live her grandfather.

Heidi's life becomes as it had been before she had gone to Frankfurt. She talks with Grandfather, plays with the goats, visits Peter's Grannie. But however, the friendship she had made while she had been in Frankfurt will always remain intact, and in this beautiful, green place full of natural beauty, a miracle waits for Clara...

This was a simple and comfortable read. I absolutely loved it! I loved the characters. I loved Heidi. I liked Clara. I liked Grannie. I haven't much to say about WHY I loved this book. I loved this book simply because it was a simple, touching, and wonderful story! I loved it because the characters, especially Heidi and Clara, were so loveable! Overall, I'd absolutely recommend this book!

5 out of 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment